My quilting guild has selected incubator blankets as our special project this year, for the local children's hospital. They don't go on top of the preemie, but on the incubator itself, to both help insulate and keep the heat in, and to block some of the light for the little ones.
These are fun to do, and you don't realize how quickly something small (only 24 x 24) will work up. Here's the one I made from the pastel strip set you saw a couple of posts ago. I started it Superbowl Sunday, as part of Bargellobowl. This one's my favorite of the 5 incubator tops I've done so far. Guess I'm kinda traditional when it comes to baby blankets:
And then here's one I made Heartstrings style. I had a strip of muslin that wasn't big enough to cut regular size Heartstrings foundations from, but I was able to cut sixteen 6½ inch squares. Looking at it now, I wish I'd cut those initial red strips a bit smaller, think they were 2 inches, a little wide for the small block, but there was a lot of the hand dyed red I wanted to use.
And like everyone else says, no matter that I made 16 blocks for this, my bags of strings didn't get any smaller... :D
Pixel Plaid: A Visit with Kristin Lawson
13 hours ago