Saturday, August 18, 2007

Splish Splash

Got up at my normal time this morning, had to be at work at 9:30... headed for the bathroom to take a shower... and my whole bathroom floor was an inch deep in water. Somehow, overnight, my toilet had sprung a leak.

Thankfully, I hadn't washed clothes yesterday, so I had half a load of lights and half a load of darks (including two dark green towels) all sorted out on the floor, and they soaked up most of the water before it got to my bedroom carpet. The carpet's a little damp, but only at the edge. I wasn't able to turn the water off under the toilet because THAT little valve was broken, but I was able to turn it down to where the leak was manageable. Funny how you never know that your shutoff valve doesn't work until you need to use it. :)

AND thankfully, I was able to find a plumber to come out on Saturday...



These guys are from Best Rooter - That's Stan Holman on the right, holding the tank. If you're in the Memphis area and need a plumber, I highly recommend these guys - he gave me permission to put his number online... call (901)358-1008 or cell (901)864-5700.

First thing they did was turn the water off at the street and replace the valve to stop the leak... Turns out, I needed a whole new toilet.

But also turns out that a gasket was missing, the one that goes between the tank and the toilet, (I'm just parroting what they say, I have no knowledge of the inner workings of toilets) so off they went again to Home Depot for that. But it's fixed now, and I have the cleanup to do, all the wet clothes and grubby floor. Fun day, huh?

9 comments:

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Poor thing! Lucky for the washing!
Those boys look handy, but there business name means a whole other thing in Australia!!!Email me if you want to know!!! Tracey

Gail said...

Glad you got it fixed in short order and things weren't as bad as they could have been. That is NOT the way to start your day!!

Carolyn said...

Thank goodness you found it before it got too bad! I hope the cleanup goes quickly...

Susan said...

You have my sympathy! We had a water heater burst in a similar manner, and it is not a pleasant surprise. I'm glad you had good plumbers who got it fixed for you on a Saturday!

Quilts And Pieces said...

We had water disaster this weekend too! I did laundry all day Saturday for DD college stuff. And walked into the laundry room near one of the last loads with water all over the floor! One of the hoses broke. Ughhh!

Kairle Oaks said...

Well this must be the week for water problems. We had to pull up carpet in our youngest DDs bedroom because it was wet. Still not sure where the water was coming from...somewhere outside, I guess. Glad you got some help on a Saturday.

Nines said...

Oh, maybe they run in three's 'cause our water heater sprung a leak at the quilt shop- it was downstairs so everything was fine- but an annoyance! Hope you've recovered.

Toby looks like such a character- he has a very haughty expression as if he KNOWS thngs!

Beemoosie said...

Hope your days are getting better. gotta love a plumber that lets you blog about them, picture and all!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for prompt reliable plumbers :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...