Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Van News

Well, got my van back, and it looks like new. Drives great, they fixed the driver's seat, replaced that inside cargo area, everything. Dobbs Collision here in Memphis did a wonderful job for me:


Scroll down if you want to see a before picture. ;) Now, the only thing I want is a couple of things that were in the back cargo area of the van replaced. First, being inspected by the nosier half of my resident siamese inspection team, my big cooler was damaged and needs to be replaced:



The cooler was sideways in the back of the van, so I had room beside it for other stuff, and when the back of the van was squinched in, it pushed the two short ends of the cooler in, and the edges bulged out, cracking the plastic at all 4 corners and breaking the handle (the one you see there) that was closest to the hatch door. On the left side, the squinching pulled the white liner away from the blue outside, and on the right side, the blue stayed stuck to the white, instead it created a long crack along the corner rim of the liner.



They wanted to know what size it was, but the cooler didn't say on the side... just the name Coleman. I put the red Igloo 12 inside the blue one so they could see that it is bigger than a 12 can cooler.

It also broke my sunglasses, which were in the same cargo area - normally I carry them up front with me and they don't leave the car, but I was using the coolers AND the sunglasses, and they both ended up in the back. Here's what they look like now:



Yes, they were prescription, and for insurance purposes, there's a copy of my prescription on the left. If I can get them replaced before the prescription gets a year old, I won't have to pay to get my eyes examined again. I have till Sept. 22. On the right is an estimate for replacement from Walmart. Frames $99 and lenses $178. And I don't even think that includes getting the edges rolled and polished, which I DID have on these sunglasses. Bifocals get expensive, don't they?

The thing that irks me is that when I got these wire frames not too long ago, they didn't have many BIG lensed frames to choose from. The little 'frame selection associate' at the store I got them from told me in all seriousness ... "But NObody wears big frames anymore, the longer narrow frames are what's in style." I don't care what's in style, I like big sunglasses. And ALL the movie stars I see trying to evade the paparazzi are wearing big dark lenses... lol.

Anyway, I'll send the blog address to all the insurance folks, and I have more pix I can send (say, if they really want to see all 4 corners of the cooler) and I can fax a copy of the glasses estimate and prescription if they need it. I think since I was honest and didn't try to claim whiplash or back or neck injury, the least they can do is replace these two things, don't you?

5 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the van looks wonderful again! And yes, it is all these little things that get to be such a big hassle isn't it!

Susan said...

Looks brand new! I hope you get the other things replaced as well. I *hate* those skinny little frames! Twice, I've bought men's frames because they just didn't have anything in women's. I don't care. I want what I want. =)

Joanne said...

Glad to see you got your van back and it looks good! I agree -- both the glasses and the cooler should be replaced and it looks like you have good documentation for it.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Good to hear that your van is all fixed up now. I am sure your insurance company will replace the broken items for you - my niece was in a small fender bender (not her fault), and her sewing machine was damaged - that insurance company had to buy her a brand new BERNINA!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Patti said...

Well, Jane, a lot has been going on with you since the last time I was able to visit. So glad to be catching up! So sad about your van, but it looks like it got fixed as good as new. I sure hope they'll take care of the sunglasses and the cooler - good luck with that. I know when my son got rear ended the insurance company refusted to cover what was in the back - golf clubs that got bent and I can't remember what else. Maybe3 things have changed since that happened about 10-12 years ago. I see you've gotten quite a lot done quilt-wise. I love that pieced back you made. Makes me think of all the orphan quilts that Finn has been showing on her Orphan Train blog. Feels so good to get something finished doesn't it - especially when you use up things like you did on that back.

Hopefully I'm back to visiting on a regular basis now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...