Thursday, November 15, 2007

Wonky Squares Mystery

Well, here's the mystery I taught at the guild's retreat. I posted the palette of fabrics a long time ago, but didn't dare show any more of the quilt top coming together. Finally, the Wonky Squares mystery is over and you get to see the whole top, finished:


I wanted to try something different with the border, so decided to make three of the blocks into escapees. Here's a closeup. I used dryer sheets to sew to the right side of my three squares, then trimmed a hole in the sheet and pulled the square thru. Finally, I used a blanket stitch to applique them down. I'm tempted to add another block and a half to this, to make it look like they're escaping all the way off the top completely:


Here's three of the quilts that were finished in my class. I didn't ask permission to use their names on my blog, but here's their quilt tops! They all did a great job, and it was fascinating to see the same design in different colors. First, P.M.'s all-batik version with bright yellow sashing:


And G.E.'s I-Spy version with sashing that's my very favorite color, forest green. G's the hair you see near the middle. Over on the right, you'll see C.T.'s one block with maroon sashing and NO florals or feminine prints (she has 47 more done, just not sewn together) meant for a guy type quilt:


And finally, S.M.'s pink and yellow and green baby quilt sized top, with purple sashing, that will be a quilt for a 1 year old little girl:


An easy mystery class, and some great results, don't you think?

:)

13 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the escaping blocks! I think a half block would be perfect. It adds whimsy to the quilt.

Leslie said...

Wow, all my favorite colors together in one place. :D

Tracey in CT said...

All the quilts look great! I love the escaping blocks!!

SuBee said...

How cool is that??? The mystery is how does that go together? It looks fantastic!

The Calico Cat said...

I love the idea of a complete escape! GO FOR IT!

Darcie said...

Love the escapees! Very clever!

Your mystery quilt looks like a great way to showcase some of those charm packs that so many are collecting these days.

Helen in the UK said...

What a great pattern. It has movement, without making the viewer think there is something wrong with their vision!!! Love the different colour variations that emerged in the class. Super border idea too :)

Laurie Ann said...

Very neat! I love that effect. Looks hard!

atet said...

Those escaping blocks are great and your mystery students' quilts are fantastic!

Tazzie said...

I love your escaping blocks Jane, and the jewel colours are wonderful too!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Susan said...

They are all great, but your color scheme is more my style. I love the escaping blocks - go for the 1 and a half!

anne said...

Love them all. What is the name of the block and where can I locate the pattern. Thanks

Mama Spark said...

Dryer sheets? Who knew?? What a great idea. Were they used ones?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...