Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Birthday and more Tomatoes

We celebrated my Mom's 80th birthday today. Here she is sitting in her new birthday swing, a gift from her husband, Fred. He bought the swing, but made the frame for it himself. Now they can sit in the front yard, in the shade, and watch the neighborhood go by. :D


I'd bought her a bottle of lotion and some perfume, and also gave her a pillow made of this 18 inch kaleidoscope block:


It matches this king size quilt they got for Christmas last year. I put a border around the edges, (some of the same royal blue ferny fabric from the quilt border) then a zipper down the middle of the backing so it could be used for a storage pillow... now it's stuffed with winter knit caps, but in the winter, it could be stuffed with t-shirts or beach towels.

And here's the status of my tomatoes... one of the medium size Goliath tomatoes was red enough to pick, and 14 of the cherry tomatoes. There's one very green cherry tomato that fell off the vine when I tried to pick the red one next to it, I've put it in the same bowl to see if it ripens enough to eat. I'm going to choose the five reddest little ones for supper tonight. :-P

7 comments:

Ali Honey said...

They were great things to give your Mum. Well done with the tomatoes. I bet they'll be yummy!

Carol E. said...

I love the picture of them in bed under the quilt. Quilts always look their best when in the act of cuddling folks, as in that photo! And it's a gorgeous quilt.

Shelina said...

That's a beautiful Kaleidoscope. I've started a blue and white one for a lap quilt - just need to add the borders and I'll be done with it. Glad you have tomatoes. They look delicious.
Your jewel box looks wonderful as well - what an inspired design!

YankeeQuilter said...

Those tomatoes look wonderful! I have a few cherry tomatoes just about ready to pick...need a few sunny days. Your mom looks very happy!

Finn said...

Awesome birthday gifts, all of them. I'm sure she had a wonderful birthday.
The pillow turned out great and it's nice that it doubles as something else.
Your tomatoes look yummy...good job! and happy summer eating. Hugs, Finn

Susan said...

Your mother looks nothing like what I think 80 looks like. She's so young looking! You are so lucky to have her, too. Those tomatoes make me hungry! We used to grow them, before we went on the road, and they just taste different when you do.

Pock said...

beautiful "maters".... Happy Belated Bday to your Mom... and I love your quilts.. you do beautiful work.. I'm just a beginner quilter..I'm enjoying learning as I go. Pock

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...