Friday, November 21, 2008

Tomatoes in November?

When I planted three tomatoes way back in April 08, I had absolutely NO idea that I'd still be eating homegrown tomatoes from them in late November. How long does a tomato plant last, anyway? I brought these three indoors before the first freezing night was predicted. Here's the Goliath:


And here's the Better Boy plant:


And the Cherry tomato plant is producing best of all. Lots of blooms too! Now that they're indoors and I don't have to worry about the birds getting them, I can leave the tomatoes on the vine to redden, instead of picking them when they start to turn orangish. I ate three of them last night:




The cats don't seem to bother them at all. Toby takes a couple of long sniffs at them, then sneezes and walks away.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Well, now I am going to bring in some tomato plants next year. I just love fresh tomatoes and the ones from the store don't taste half as good.

Angie said...

Your tomato plants look like they will produce for quite sometime. How wonderful! Did you have them in containers to start with, and then just moved them indoors? Mine are planted in the ground and I don't think it would work to transplant them. Next year I will put a few in 5 gallon containers that I bring indoors! What a great idea!

Joanne said...

Been wondering where you were! And I am so jealous of the tomatoes, I can almost taste them. Our tomatoes this year were terrible and we didn't get very many at all. And now I have to wait til next July/August to taste another real tomato! Enjoy!

Susan said...

Gosh, those plants don't owe you anything, do they! 8 months and still going strong!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...