Monday, July 05, 2010

Banana Pepper Pickles

Here's my very first try at home canning/pickling.


The first little jar is banana pepper rings only.
The second and third jars are a combo of sweet banana peppers, garlic and Vidalia onion slices.
The fourth jar is like 2 and 3 but with red onion slices added. The red onion was HUGE, and much stronger than the mild Vidalia onion. I cried when I was slicing the red onion. :(

And that's NOT dirt or bugs in there, it's allspice berries, a peppercorn or two, and dill seed. In all my googling for recipes, most of the instructions mentioned that you shouldn't use powdered spices when canning, so that's why I added the whole berry and seed. Next time, I might make a little cloth bag and take all the spices out before I fill the jars. ;)

The first four jars have just a pinch of something called "Pickle Crisp" added, that's supposed to keep them crunchy.

The last jar, on the right, is mixed red and Vidalia onions with a slice or two of garlic clove, but no banana pepper. Instead of packing the veggies tightly in the jars raw, like I did the first four, I put all the onions I had left in the hot vinegar/salt/spice/sugar mix and brought it back up to a simmer, cooked them for a couple of minutes. Then I packed the hot rings in the jar. I poured in juice to almost fill the jar, and had enough left to fill the jar behind the small one, but it's pink from the red onion. This last jar didn't get any "Pickle Crisp" since I figured they'd be soft from cooking anyway. I was hoping also that the short cook time would make that red onion a little less strong.

I haven't tasted them yet - I'm going to wait a day before I try them, let the raw veggies soak up the vinegar and spices. It was less trouble than I thought it'd be, once I'd bought everything I needed, so I'll definitely do it again if they taste good.

These jars actually all sealed just from the boiling vinegar being poured over the veggies, all of the tops are locked down. I'm still going to play it safe and keep them in the fridge, though, because I didn't use a hot water bath on them.

23 comments:

王名仁 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

李威昌 said...

呵。。。。好可愛~~..................................................................

俊成俊成 said...

逛BLOG逛上癮了,一天不來會不習慣了耶!!..................................................................

Nessa said...

MMmmm. They look good.

原秋原秋 said...

文章是心情的反應~~祝妳天天寫的都是讓人開心的好文章哦!!............................................................

志張sf夏康如皓志gfg志 said...

Learning makes a good man better and ill man worse.............................................................

美岑美岑 said...

很用心的部落格 祝你人氣百分百 期待您的新文章..................................................................

鄭雅琦鄭雅琦 said...

蛛絲馬跡皆學問、落花水面皆文章............................................................

魏江伶魏江伶 said...

THX FOR SHARE!!!感激呀!............................................................

Barb said...

They're gorgeous! I am impressed!

廖淑鄭志嘉娟 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的............................................................

吳承虹 said...

Many a true word is spoken in jest.............................................................

承蔡蔡芸 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

佳陳容 said...

感謝您給我的啟示!..................................................................

怡屏 said...

從人生中拿走友誼,猶如從生活中移走陽光......................................................................

46854 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債............................................................

淑張福 said...

成功多屬於那些很快做出決定,卻又不輕易變更的人。而失敗也經常屬於那些很難做出決定,卻又經常變更的人.................................................... ............

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」..................................................

8468 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

璇陳陳陳竹 said...

謝謝大大分享!!經典!~(。・ω・)............................................................

ducerit said...

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Big Thanks
college board .

Nigrilaforever said...

with BANNANAS?? LOL, you must be kiddin' ?? It's even not funny, stop it gyuz

essay companies

darkmuse said...

^ what's wrong with you?? don't you knew that this food makdes with bananas?? how could you called yourselfe a cock??

cheap essays

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...