Saturday, April 11, 2009

Container Gardening Again

Well, here I go again - pictures of my little excuse for a garden. I enjoyed growing three tomato plants last year, so THIS year, I'm doubling the size of the garden, adding several more containers.

I'm trying some snow peas in window boxes. I saw online where it's supposed to work... :) When they get big enough, I have a trellis thing I'm going to put between the boxes, for the peas to climb. The package says you can usually get two crops, start one in Spring, and start one in late Summer.


I'm also going to try a couple of containers of crookneck squash - I know there's not much dirt in here, after they come up, I'll add some more - I may even move them to something bigger, like a kiddie plastic wading pool with some holes drilled for drainage.


Here's the three tomatoes I decided on. An Early Girl, this one already has teeny blooms about to open:


A Sweet Cherry Red. There were two plants in the same pot, but they were planted so close together that I hesitated trying to separate them, I was afraid I'd tear up the roots for both. If it gets to be too much for the container, I may have to cut the smaller one out later.


And last, a Better Boy. They all look a little short now, but the instructions on the pot said to plant them deep, so I did.


And just for the regular readers of my blog... remember when I put the whole raw egg under all my tomato plants last year? When I dug out the old dirt from the pots this year, I was especially attentive to watch and see how much of the egg was left, and what had happened to it. All three eggs were flattened, you could see grayish bits of shell in almost a deflated water-balloon shape. None of the three eggs were surrounded by especially dense concentrations of root. I didn't put eggs in the containers this year, so I'll see if there will be a difference.

6 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Good luck with your plants - they are looking good so far. What are the CDs for?

Sheila said...

Oh, goody! Just the other day I was looking thru last year's posts to see what worked for you; I didn't do it then but I'm ready this year! I'm thinking about potatoes in a hanging bag, too. Have you heard of this???

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your gardening. You've made a great start. I'll follow with interest.

Ann said...

Your tomato plants are bigger than mine! But I started mine from seeds. Wish the ground would hurry and warm so we can get them planted.

YankeeQuilter said...

I am planting several containers of tomatoes and putting in a small raised bed in my yard for some more tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, basil, and oregano. (can you tell I love Italian cooking?!) I also have a couple of containers with Mint and Lavender on the back deck.

On the egg front...my dad used to collect the shells of the eggs and mix that into the soil. Now I just add it to the compost pile....

Ginger Quilter said...

I just have to ask........why did you put a whole egg under your tomato plants last year? I've heard of using crushed egg shells but why the whole tomato?

I'm anxious for my husband to get our garden churned up so we can plant.

Lyn in North Georgia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...