Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hoppin' Jane

Okay, I know it's really called Hoppin' John, lol

But since the fresh stuff was from my garden, I can change the name, right? The black eyed peas looked like they were going to be a LOT more while they were still in the pods, because I had a good sized handful. Here's the harvest:


I dropped one as I was bringing them in, and Libby snatched it up and went running under the kitchen table with it. I never would have thought peas-in-the-pod would be enticing to a Siamese. I rescued it, and pinched off the end of the pod with the kitty fang-holes punched in, but I didn't give it back to her. I don't want to start sharing my peas, lol.

Since after shelling there weren't enough black-eye peas to cook by themselves, I decided to make Hoppin' John with them. First I measured the water for my rice and put it on to heat, then I chopped up that baby bell pepper, added the raw peas and brought it to a boil. Then I added the measured rice and brought it to a boil again, flipped the burner down to low, covered the pot and let it steam for ten minutes. I served it with a sprinkle of grated cheddar on top, and it was superb. Next time I make it, I might add onions and mushrooms. To finish out my meal, I quartered both of those little tomatoes in the picture and dribbled a little italian dressing on them. The pear tomato I'm saving for another night. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The faucet holes are in the countertop, and not kitchen sinks black the sink itself. This way you don’t receive4 to headache most finding a sink with the decent holes for your faucet, you may merely cause soap dispensers commercial the proper holes placed into your countertop.

Linda C said...

Wow, Jane--I didn't know that they were green when they were not cooked. (Being a Yankee, what do you expect, LOL Peas, to us, are the English kind).

DJ and I do have purple hull peas on occasion. A friend with a large garden shared some and told me how to cook them. We really like them!

I have heard that cantaloupes are going nuts this year. Cukes too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...