Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Progress

Well, here's the watermelon, AND the first two blocks I've made on my new machine. I really like the ¼ inch foot, it is so much easier than using a chunk of masking tape on the machine bed ... :) I also love being able to see thru the bobbin cover and know when I'm getting close to running out of bobbin thread.



The watermelon has a weird middle right now, because I plan to turn it under, in a scoop shape, and make it look like there's a bite missing. I thought I had enough of the navy-with-red/white I used on the right side star points to use for a border, but I only had a FQ of it. I do have the dark red with teeny stars that I used on the first EQ layout, and 2 totally different patriotic fabrics I haven't used yet. I have a LOT of the two light fabrics I used on the star blocks, but I think I need to border this in something darker, don't you? What I don't use on the front, I plan to stitch together in big chunks, especially the more obvious patriotic prints, for the backing.



Here's where I am so far. Not too far off the layout I did in EQ, is it? I'd probably be faster on my old machine, I have to keep stopping and looking up things (like what the needle position should be for a perfect ¼ inch stitch and how much pressure to use against the feed dogs.) The instruction book is *gulp* 75 pages.

I collect brass cats. Nice for quilt holders across my mantel, aren't they? Normally I don't line them all up on the edge though. :)

On a different note, I'd like to thank Bonnie for her great website, and for her giving my guild permission to use the Strip Twist block and instruction pages for our guild's Block of the Month for May. At the guild meeting Tues. night, a LOT of people had nice things to say about her site, how they loved her scrap user's system, and all the creative ways of using the stash. We had a tremendous response for Block of the Month, lots of blocks made, and I think it was mainly because of the excellent instructions with pictures on Bonnie's site! THANKS, BONNIE!

I think I'll start sticking in a few gratitudes every now and then, mainly because I like reading other peoples gratitudes:

I'm grateful for a week and a half of vacation. I do love not having to set my alarm! No driving in traffic either!
I'm grateful for a good quilt guild to belong to. I love seeing everyone's things in our Sew and Tell, and even though we get bogged down in the business side of things sometimes, we also have fun.
I'm grateful that everyone liked the mandarin orange, pineapple, whipped cream, coconut and pecan ambrosia I took for guild potluck. I only brought home one largish spoonful in the bottom of the bowl, which is a definite improvement over last time, when there were so many desserts, I brought home half a pan of brownies that I DID NOT need to eat all by myself... :)

14 comments:

Hanne said...

Go Jane Go - your quilt is coming together quick :-)
You could applique a bite of your water melon with a piece of the background fabric - teeth marks and all.

Ann said...

This is looking great, Jane. Looks like it will be done for you to hang for the 4th of July! Maybe this will be your first project to quilt on your new machine, too! Keep up the good work!

Laurie Ann said...

I love the idea of being able to see the bobbin thread. I wish my Bernina had that feature!!! I love my 1/4 foot too! :)

Vicky said...

Wow, this is shaping up nicely and quickly! I really like this quilt! Fabulous job on it! Don't you love that 1/4" foot? The machine I learned to quilt on was a Janome!

Quilts And Pieces said...

It is looking great! The watermelon is adorable. And boy oh boy - I couldn't live without my 1/4" foot!

Jeanne said...

The bite in the watermelon is going to be fun!
Jeanne :)

Cher said...

looking great!! and coming along quickly too...glad to hear you are playing with the new machine and enjoying it.

Lily Mulholland said...

Ooh yes it does look very close to your EQ design - clever you!!

It's looking great. We have to do some friendship stars for our sampler quilt. I am going to attempt to start cutting the fabric today - 9mo daughter permitting :)

Finn said...

The blocks are looking good Jane, and really close to your plan. How clever to use the brass cats to hold the quilt piece in place....good thinking!!

Linda C said...

Too cute!

If I use a seam guide and on my Viking I often do, it is a piece of Dr. Scholl moleskin padding. (The stuff that is about a 1/4 inch thick, not the flat sheet.) It is self adhesed, cut the large square in half and you get two per sheet

BUT I worked for a podiatric practice for 12 years working with this stuff is 2nd nature to me, LOL.

Judy said...

Jane, love how the quilt is coming along!! It's going to look great!

Love the new machine too!! I'm surprised the table doesn't hook in, but your solution is perfect and easy! Quilters are so helpful to each other!

About my letters...you will have to wait and see what they spell. I thought it would be fun and touturous to some NOT knowing what they spell!! *VBG* Just think that I am spelling something much bigger, actually a whole phrase...well 2 lines if a poem to be exact. It was easier to just start making "e's" and keep going. I forgot one though..it takes 6 "e"'s.

Susie said...

I didn't know you were a King of the Hill fan Jane! Looks like a good sewing machine. Now when are you going to break down and buy a new PC??

YankeeQuilter said...

Love how the quilt top is coming together! The grateful list is nice too...makes one think!
Sio

Unknown said...

The quilt looks neat. And I love your new machine. Wish I had one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...