Sunday, August 13, 2006

Art Quilt Bee time again

Well, it's been a month since I attended my Art Quilt Bee! This weekend, I've been working on the new piece of fabric I got. Last month, you may remember, I had a plaid fabric in Autumn colors, so I added a branch and corduroy fall leaves to it. This month, I traded for a turquoise satiny piece with a distinctly oriental feel. The member who got it first had added a deep red rice bowl with sequin rice (and if you look close, steam rising from it), and she also put a net table for the bowl to sit on.

Today, I added the vase on the right, with an orange bud and flower on a black stem. I was trying to make it look like a crystal vase, not sure if I succeeded or not!


I also made a pair of chopsticks, but I havent tacked them on yet. I can't decide if I like them there or not.


Also, there's at least another round with this fabric... I'll take it to them and we'll all trade again. I want to leave room for the third person who gets this piece to do something with it... so if they wanted to put a plate of egg rolls or... _?_ ... on the table under the rice bowl, there'd be space. Guess I'll take the chopsticks to the meeting unattached and just pass them with the fabric.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what was done with the blue-to-green dyed fabric I took... AND the plaid fabric I worked on last month. Wonder what they added under the leaves?

17 comments:

Cher said...

what a fun project to be a part of!

Lily Mulholland said...

what a very cool idea. We had short stories like that at school - we each wrote a sentence when we were littlies and then later a paragraph each. You just never knew where they were going to end, but they were always fabulous fun!

Joyce said...

THat background fabric looks like CHinese brocade. I have some and I love the looks of it but it frays so bad that you have to serge around every seam before you can do anything with it.

Joanne said...

That is really neat. The vase looks like crystal to me. What great ideas you have.

Judy said...

Hi Jane, did you know that you have the no comment added for your option? You can't receive any emails. I tried to answer your question that way, but couldn't so I'll do it here.

Diamond Borders! Actually I did see one gal who write a book called Totally Tubular. She takes strips and sews them together and makes these tubes which when cut at different places and angles, then get laid out to make these interested quilts. NOW! One cut that she made, ended up when laid out, to be the perfect DIAMOND border all sewn with no triangles or anything to make. The book is older so it should be fairly cheap, and I know there are probably a few different border in there. Hope that helps.

quiltpixie said...

This sounds like such a great group project/challenge, and manageable stretches

Laura said...

This is really neat, what a fun idea!

Susan said...

Looks very like a crystal vase. I love it with the chopsticks! I think if I were the third person, I'd want them on there, and then want to add something up in the left top corner - maybe a little haiku wall scroll or something.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I think your crystal vase turned out wonderful! And I personally LOVE the chopsticks on it! I hope you get pictures of the other ones to share with us!

Ann said...

I think it looks like a crystal vase, too. Very nice!

Catherine said...

Hey there, In response to some of your questions over on my blog. 1. The antique quilt....I am not going to match the fabrics perfectly. The leaves are very discolored green/brown and I found a nice printed green that I am going to use until I run out of it....as I said before, I have tons of leaves to do. I also have a fair amount of pinks and red s that will fit in fine. The quilt is actually very scrappy. I am not going to bother bleaching the fabrics.
Your question on paper. Scrap booking paper is heavier than colored printing paper. I am not really familiar with card stock though. What I love about it is that the sheets are perfect squares and come in lots of colors. I think they are acid free too. I think you can get 100 sheets for $10 but best to use 40% coupon at Michaels. Hope this helps> Catherine

Shelina said...

This is a great project! I have some asian fabric that I bought to make a kimono. After the kimono is done - I'm thinking I'm going to have to use the leftovers for an art quilt like this. I was originally thinking Crazy quilting.

Granny said...

Jane: What a neat project! In a million years, I would never have thought about doing what you did with that fabric and it is just wonderful!

Judy L.

Finn said...

The piece looks great Jane, I love your crystal vase, and I think you should add the chopsticks..they are really cool!!
Great job of coming up with something...your flower is very nice!!

Samantha said...

It looks great!!

Pam said...

How fun this is! love the chopsticks.

Linda C said...

Definitely an Oriental feel with this one especially with the chopsticks added.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...