Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Another Ostrich

Well, I've decided to adapt an idea I first saw on Anne's blog for my guild. I've never done anything like this before, so I'd welcome some help!

If anyone has time to skim what I've got up on my webpage for my Ostrich version for my quilt guild, I'd appreciate it. I'll run it as a block of the month. Some of the members aren't real thrilled with spending a lot of time making a complex block, then only having a small chance of winning the drawing for all the blocks, so they'll do only easy things like 9-patch swaps or friendship stars. The more experienced members don't want to make simplistic blocks. With a huge variation of skill levels in the guild (from Houston and Paducah award winners to people who literally can't make a flat nine patch with corners matching) it's a challenge for the block of the month person to get participation! Anyway, here's the page:

Round Ostrich

Am I spelling it out too much? Giving too many examples? I'm thinking I need rounds that could be simple OR complex, depending on the individual's skill level. Feedback welcome! Is there anything on the page that confuses you or anything that would confuse you if you were a beginning quilter? Any changes you'd make?

I've decided to also join the Ostrich being offered at Peachquilting that starts August 15th - I like the expanded time frame she offers. Having the rounds due two months apart should give me lots of time to work!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Go for it - last year the categories were - Own choice/Nine PAtch or Log Cabin/Curves/Flying geese or any other type of bird/applique/stripes/HSTs/Friendship stars

So as you can see there was a reall good mix of techniques and more abstract criteria

This year so far we've had - Own choice/paper/applique/QSTs/Stars

This time a different organiser and so far they are more technique orientated

Now waiting to see what August brings for us

Go for it - at least this way people can work well within their own comfort zone as far as technical capability goes without offending anyone else

You're welcome to use a picture of mine to illustrate interpretation if you like

Enjoy!

quiltpixie said...

I think your instructions are great! The only query I have would be whether you planned the minimum size required in round B based on some minimum size of the block in round A? If so, it might be useful to tell people that the starting block can be any size between :X & Y....

As I write this I also wonder if you should label each month as two rounds, or simply make each round more complex -- two steps say. Will two rounds each month confuse people? I dont see why it should, but have learned that some quilters feel overwhelmed quickly if they have "too much to do".

Gail said...

I love this whole idea, keep us posted on how things progress. I'd love to do this or some sort of challenge with my guild-but they have other things going on and I doubt I'd get much participation.

Unknown said...

just as an afterthought I'm not sure you need to specify any sizes as it is all dependent upon what the stitcher has in mind for their finished size - other than that it all sounds great :o) Hope you all have lots of fun and believe me it's great fun comparing everyone's interpretations of the same instructions

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love your page for your guild and the Ostrich idea! This is wonderful! And thanks for the quote sites!

The Calico Cat said...

In general, I love the idea! The fabric samples in your "B" section are great...

For me, there were to many examples... blue to banana... I'd give a few, not a dozen or more. same with the quotes... Although since the quote will not go on the block, I would have left that out all together - so you don't end up with, "I pieced a cat, but couldn't find a quote that I liked, so I am not going to participate..." - Is the quote really necessary?)

just food for thought... (For me "less is more" with directions.)

Juliann in WA said...

your directions look clear to me and there seems to be a lot of room for the diverse skills of your group - things like this make me miss being in a guild
Juliann

Finn said...

Hi Jane, just lost my comment completely..LOL

I think the orstrich is a great idea. I'm thinking of joining over at Kim's myself. Love that you are offering the guild two levels. Good thinking!!

Bonnie said...

Your instructions seemed very clear to me - and it looks like an easy-to-join idea for a guild. Let us know the results.

Joanne said...

I think your Round Ostrich sounds like a blast! I like that you're working on your own quilt and you have a month before the next round. I like that all skill levels can do their own thing here.
Great idea!

kcdi said...

I'm so glad you are doing to be doing the OC at PeachQuilting! It will be great to be doing the project with you!

And thanks for letting me know about the newsletter. I will send hubby to the library today to see if he can get the info.

Melzie said...

Well I am a flat out beginner but that sounds doable to me :) I think the beauty of it is its abstract just enough to allow the veterans to play around a bit. Great ideas! xoxo melzie

Shelina said...

Your round robin sounds great. I like that you give the quilter lots of choices on how to make their quilt THEIRS. Generic enough to fit the beginners and the advanced. I too would take out the size specifications. I personally like quotes - although I would probably get a quote that fits the overall theme of the quilt rather than just the center block. But I can see how someone without a quote might decide to give up on the project. (Although they would wind up quitting somewhere in the middle anyway.) Maybe make the quote optional. I would leave it in though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...