Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Art from Snowballs, 9-Patches and Cobblestones

Well, I have been sewing on all my little 6½ square blocks. But I don't want to show you a picture till I'm farther along. :) So, here is the little set of squares I sewed as a test, BUT *evil grin* I've put it in Corel and squinched at the photograph, so you can only get a general idea of what I'm doing.

This first version (all three pix started with the same photograph) is what they call an 'impressionist dabbled paint effect:



The one below is what the quilt would look like if I dipped it in white paint or a discharge dye, and let it drip:



And the last is what Corel calls a 'swirled paint effect' but instead, looks to me like something you're seeing through a rainy window pane:



The quilt is actually going to be queen sized - six 9-patch star blocks across and eight blocks down, plus borders. Because I want the star points to match around the 9-patches, I had to stop making snowball blocks and start connecting, so I'd be able to make sure I have the right combinations of snowball corners I need. I'm hoping to get a lot more done this weekend! Right now, I'm at 4 blocks over and 5 down.

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

looks like you were having fun at the computer :-) and the quilt, from what I can see, will look fun

Finn said...

Hi Jane, thanks for joining me in some watermelon..and for the bear hug..*VBS* Actually I was just suggesting joining me in eating the melon..I can lick my own paws..*G*

the 9 patch stars look wonderful, even blurry! Not so different from how I see things all the time..LOL

Saska said...

Looks good. ...even squinting, I can see it!

Mary Johnson said...

Looks like an interesting setting - I look for the finished version when you actually let us see it!

Linda C said...

good thing you told us what you were doing--otherwise we would think you had something seriously wrong with your camera, LOL.

Good one from Mary "when you actually let us see it"

Shelina said...

I'm used to seeing things without my glasses, so all your pictures look "normal" to me. And you are making yourself a beautiful quilt. Queen size! Wow, way to go!

kcdi said...

Computer graphic programs are so much fun! I look forward to seeing the "real" thing. It looks great so far!

Silverthimble said...

I just love the effect on these photos! Too cool!

Susan said...

That's cool. In looking at the first one, I can see how the pattern changes if you have 9-patch corners that are the same as the star points - more like Sister's Choice. I love the way this is coming together.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...