Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Stash Organizing

Would you like a tour of my newly organized stash? It took me all day - but I also watched tv and set up bloglines with all my favorite blogs... :)



After hours of folding and sorting, I ended up with 4 plastic drawers of fabric. On top, there's the florals and blues collection, under that the forest green, green, and brown drawer, moving to the left, my red, pink, lavender, purple drawer, with a few maroons and burgundys on the bottom. Then in the drawer to the left of THAT, on the bottom my skimpy stash of blacks and greys, topped by mostly-white prints, whites, creams, beiges, tans, yellows, oranges, pumpkins, and peach. Some of the teals ended up in the blue drawer, and some ended up in the green drawer.

Below that you'll see my seasonal and theme drawer - I don't know why I keep adding to these - maybe cause they look so good on the after-season sale tables? I've got red/white/pink valentine fabric, Christmas fabric, Autumn leaves, Winter snowflakes, Easter eggs, St. Patrick's day shamrock and leprechaun fabric. And even after making a big patriotic wall-hanging, I STILL have some red-white and blue fabric. And because that was the only drawer with an inch or two of room, I also put in my little collection of stripes and checks and plaids.

I have a LOT of white muslin, and had bought some off white and unbleached at my neighborhood Hancock's going-out-of-business sale. Some of it I bought from Ann-sewsalot after her daughter's wedding - all nicely serged on the edges, (she made her own tablecloths instead of renting or using plastic) so it'll be great for dying or marbling.

All the pieces in the drawers are from FQ size to 1 yard or a little more. On top, near my lamp, you'll see some bigger pieces I also bought at the sale. Some of them were in the drawers but had to come out to make room for smaller pieces. Now I need to figure out where to store all my bigger chunks and whites.

*embarassed grin* I also have two bags of scraps that are too big to just throw away, and ANOTHER drawer of 4 inch to 6 inch squares I bought on e-Bay with the intention of someday making a landscape type quilt. And a drawer of UFO's.

And geesh, these are just my quilting cottons. I also have denims, flannels, satin, nylon, t-shirting, fleece... :) I'd better get busy sewing!

But there are sure to be sales at all the stores tomorrow.... maybe just a few?

18 comments:

Cathi said...

That is a good sized stash...wish mine was a bit bigger! Mine mostly consists of scraps! I love the purse you made, it is the zippers that keep me from doing them myself...was never good at sewing them!

Ann said...

Very nice! How long will it stay this nice and neat? A day? Maybe 2? hehehe.. Mine never stays nice and neat for very long! Creativity creates messes!

quiltpixie said...

It looks great! Nice to get a handle on the piles once and while huh?

Linda C said...

Looks like you may also have a cutting party ahead?

Finn said...

Hi Jane, happy 4th of July to you..*VBS* Let Freedom reign!! I love the nice picture of your organized stash! It looks soooo nice and neat. Unfortunately they never seem to stay looking that way...at least mine doesn't. But then, mine wouldn't fit in your drawers either..LOL. I have ALOT of stash busting to do...better get started..Hugs, Finn

Cher said...

great job on neatening up! looks great.

Melanie said...

Most impressive organizing.. Be careful not to make it too pretty to use. Everyone needs muslin. It should be a staple.
Enjoy the 4th.
Melanie

Hanne said...

What a lovely organized fabric collection :-) Happy July 4th !

Joyce said...

I envy your stash and even more the organization. How long will it stay that way??? Lol.

Joanne said...

WTG on the organizing! I'm just catching up on your blogs for the whole month of June, too. You've been quite busy. And I like Liberty and Justice - great quilt!

quiltpixie said...

re the ostrich RR you couldn't find.... You have to register, and look under challenges on the home page.

Bonnie said...

It always feels good to get things organized and neat. And you get to feel all those fabrics and dream of the quilts you will make as you re-arrange.

Lily Mulholland said...

I am so envious of your stash! And wow so organised :)

I bet the dream projects are queueing up in your head now you can see all that delish fabric sitting there just waiting to be cut!

The Calico Cat said...

good for you for getting so much done!

Patti said...

Great job of sorting and organizing. It gives you a great feeling doesn't it! I like how you've put them in the drawers - looks like you can take out a piece without messing up the rest. That's always the problem I have with my fabrics stacked on shelves.

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Wow! Your colors are great! Wish my stash looked as nice. Good job!

Mary Johnson said...

I'm impressed - I'm still going through my books and magazines and haven't even gotten to my fabric yet!

Passionate Quilter said...

great job on the organizing! looks so nice and neat. Wished mine looked that good! *grin*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...