Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Material Mountain

Well, I succumbed to the lure of the going out of business sale again. They've upped their ante, now the fabric is all 50 to 70% off, so of COURSE I had to stop in and see what they had left. Plus I'd been beating myself about the head for not getting more thread at 30 or 40% off last time. *excuses to self* And I had just organized my stash, so I knew exactly what I didn't have much of ... plaids! So here's my newly washed and folded material mountain:

Our guild president has issued her president's challenge to us - lap quilts for folks who are wheelchair bound. Some of this will be used for that. I was thinking the plaids with red might look good paired with navy or black in a guy type quilt... and who can say no to fabric on sale?

Of course the mountain didn't go uninhabited for long.



Doesn't he look like he's thinking, "I have climbed to the mountaintop, and it is good."


"One feels much closer to the light of the sun, when one is on the summit." (I'm glad it's a florescent bulb, or he'd be singeing his whiskers!) Toby is my main heat seeker, he can sit in the sun in a window until his black ears and nose are almost too hot to touch.



But then he had to taunt Libby, pacing below. "I am KING of the mountain!" He can't be dignified and aloof for long... lol



"HA, ha ha, and YOU can't climb up when I'm here, pttttth!" Of course, by this time, she was studiously ignoring him, pretending that she had NO interest in sitting up there. She strolls into the kitchen toward the food bowl, and suddenly, Toby gets worried that he's missing something... so he jumps down and follows her.



At which point, Libby gets a gleam in her eye and saunters past him, jumps up on the table with the fabric. Here's Libby thinking, "Ya know, being up here looked a lot more fun when he was up here, and I was down there. Now what do I do?"

28 comments:

Melanie said...

Plaids are my favorites. Sounds like good deals...Beautiful cats. Must be great friends.
Melanie

quiltpixie said...

Its so much fun making whole thought stories for our animals, and almost as much fun to read them :-) The plaids are wonderful, though I don't know how your cats keep from knocking the pile down, mine would have them all over on the first attempt to get to the top!

Patti said...

Great choices - I adore plaids! I wouldn't have resisted either. Love the kitty picutres and the story you made up to go with them.

Gail said...

Love the plaids, and the colors they are in! My mother has a Siamese (her 3rd) and will tell me that it gave her a dirty look when she left. I have to remind her that those beautiful, elegant animals only have dirty looks-they look upon the rest of creation with a certain amount of disdain and natural superiority. Sounds like Libby has outsmarted Toby on more than one occassion.

The Calico Cat said...

Our cats have the same conversations, except that Rhapsody is usually first with RB intimidating her until she moves!

How much fabric is in that mountain?

Linda C said...

too cute to see the progression of behavior with Toby and Libby.

Nice stack of fabric too!

Cher said...

amusing post!

Bonnie said...

You made me laugh out loud at your cat's antics. Cats always look so dignified when doing such silly things. You can't help but love them.
I think your idea about a lap quilt for a man is wonderful. Most men would feel more comfortable with plaids than with flowers.

tami said...

It sure is hard to pass up a good sale. Plus it gives your kitties something new to investigate. :o)

Finn said...

You know the rule is that with 70% off you are breaking the laws of the Great Be-Hah of the Fabric Universe if you don't buy...can't have that!! Love the colors you picked...all very nice...and just think what you saved over buying it off the shelf.

Love the Tale of the Material Mountain and it's climbers...LOL..too fun!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'd have been taking fabric and thread home like a madwoman. Cute kitties - and how true. Gotta be on that pile of fabric. Pokey sniffs at my OTT light and her eyebrow whiskers curl up.

Hanne said...

Lovely fabrics and wonderful cats :-)

kcdi said...

Great fabrics and great kitties! I love cats, but am allergic. :c(
I am looking forward to seeing what you make with some of those! And please don't tell me which store is going out of business. I don't know and I don't need to be tempted. LOL!
Kimberly

Nancy said...

Who could resist a going out of business sale. And at least you only bought the things you were short on in your stash.

My cats would have also been fighting over who got to sit on top of that fabric mountain. LOL!

Darcie said...

As much as I love cats...I have to say first: LOVE YOUR PLAIDS!!! OK...now I can say: Your cats are so pretty! And don't you just love how they each have their own personality. So human-like. Or...are we animal-like?!

Marlublu said...

I love those fabrics. All the plaids I have now I bought in the 90's which are the ones I made the Folk star out of. I've never thought to buy those pretty girly plaids. You're tempting me to go back to Hancock.

Marlublu said...

Forgot to say,I had to do a double take on your cat to see if it was real. He looks so regal.

Catherine said...

I have a hard time resisting the sales too... i love the plaids been cutting a lot of plaids recently for a pineapple quilt. Thanks for the 'welcome back'!!!

Laurie said...

i think one SHOULD buy when it's that inexpensive! LOL Great job!
Hugs
laurie

Cathi said...

What a great deal! And the cats are too cute. Mine love to sleep on every quilt I'm making!!

Joyce said...

No one in their right mind could resist a sale like that! THe fabrics are beautiful and so are the cats.

Shelina said...

That is a wonderful stack of fabric. I love all the purple.

Samantha said...

Ah, the going out of business sale. Benn there done that ;-) Your cats look so pleased with your purchases!

Lily Mulholland said...

Jane well done on the stash supply run!. At 50=70% off you'd be mad to miss it!

Hey I am a violet too! But I don't think I'm shy at all. Well maybe just a little bit. But I'm also an extrovert. A conundrum!!

Unknown said...

Great post!!! Our cats do entertain us. lol

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is nice to have an organized stash so that when you do hit a sale you know exactly what spots to fill! Your cats are very funny!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Judy said...

I avoided the 2 closing stores near me for this reason. I knew I would spend more than I wanted to and be unable to resist!

Cute cats!! They all love fabric don't they?

Joanne said...

Thanks for the cat smiles today! Animals really do have great expressions! Good deal on the fabric!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...